Friday 23 September 2011

Me and my future ELA classroom

When I was a wee lad I liked to play, be active, and physical.  I immediately took to just about every game, sport or activity that was offered up to me.  My evenings, weekends and summers would see me involved in organized sports such as hockey, baseball, volleyball and basketball to hobbies (passions) such as skiing and snowboarding.  And in between with friends, my younger brother and/or my dad I was either on the rink across the road, my driveway or my basement playing "mini" versions of my favourite sports.  I just couldn't get enough.  I was encouraged to try some different things-encouraged to read by my mom and play the piano by my nanna, however, my desire to compete and play always won over.

I read books during school and played a few instruments, not so much out of choice, but requirement.  I recall the first book I read out of pure enjoyment- a novel...about baseball.  I read it in a day.  A feat for myself as it was one hundred and something pages and sports were at my fingertips.  I continued to read further books in that series in which various sports were involved.

As I have grown up, my love for reading has evolved and specifically make time to read, however, if I get a call to toss a ball or get out on the ice, I will pause the pages briefly.

These memories make me think that my ELA classroom will be about interest, choice and encouragement. Also, I have had some english teachers that I really disliked and a select few that I genuinely enjoyed and learned with.  The teachers that I enjoyed working with had some factors in common that were without a doubt the driving forces behind their success that I will try to build on during my time...

Active Involvement- Getting children out of their seats, experiencing reading and stories with their bodies.  Using small groups to collaborate, discuss, act out pieces of a work.  Experiencing through reading, writing and speaking intertwined.

"Thinkpot" Atmosphere-  Everyones ideas and expressions and accepted and used to build creativity.

Fun- Writing jokes, telling humorous stories or experiences- using real life to create and bridge learning outcomes.  Opportunities to be very dramatic and present works or ideas.

Interest-  It has to be relevant.  Just like myself and reading about sports.  They need to be into the material to be motivated. 

Choice-  Linked to interest I believe that giving kids choices about what they read, speak, or write about will fuel motivation, build interest, foster learning and create a community to learn from one another.

Finally...Encouragement- Reinforcing each child's thoughts, ideas, work and individuality through positive feedback.

How feasible is all of this...definitely a challenge.  I believe that you need to bring a great deal of energy to the classroom and hopefully I can challenge, motivate and inspire my future students and open up their minds to new possibilities.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing those sweet memories - I hope my boys grow up to think fondly of all we are doing with them too.

    You've made an excellent list of qualities to strive toward as you enter the teaching profession. Your future ELA classroom sounds quite engaging. You're very right about energy...I believe if we have the qualities you listed, we will be energized by our practice, not burnt out by it.

    ReplyDelete