Friday 7 October 2011

Starting Out: IRP's and The Students of Today and Tomorrow

IRP?  You mean RIP right?...Rest in peace?  Prior to committing myself to the goal of teaching middle school a couple of years ago, I would not have had an idea what an IRP was.  Slowly I caught wind of the term through friends who were already teaching; however, it was not until very recently that I took an in depth look at this resource.  As I embark on my career as a teacher, the integrated resource package will definitely be a useful resource that I keep close.  Despite being quite daunting in size and composition, the package offers thorough guidance or "considerations for program delivery" that is open ended insofar as it provides suggestions without being directive.  For example, the figure "using reading, writing , speaking and listening in combination to make meaning" displays a concept I believe to be paramount in ELA.  The integration of reading, writing and speaking aims to strengthen understanding and support real world connections.  The specific exercises and texts that will contribute to "making meaning" are discretionary.  I like that the IRP does not inhibit creativity.  The needs and interests of every class will be different and it is important to utilize engaging resources to maximize comprehension and growth.  Switching gears slightly, The IRP provides some very useful basic information as well that, as a teacher, I may have otherwise overlooked.  Specifically, I learned a great while reading over "copyright and responsibility."  Ignorance to copyrights could lead to unnecessary conflict that I would not want to entangle myself with as a teacher.  Overall, the package provides a great deal of insight that is invaluable to a new or experienced teacher.  


As a new teacher, I anticipate entering an ELA classroom where the students require a great deal of encouragement, support and motivation.  ELA students are coming from an ever increasing range of backgrounds and learning environments.  Differences in culture, life experiences, ability, and primary language are all present.  The common factor that will connect these students will be active engagement.  Atwell expresses that learning is more likely to happen when students like what they are doing and when they are involved and active with other students.  I am prompted to think about my own learning experiences in ELA, specifically when I was given the opportunity to work dramatically in small groups.  I gained the ability to think critically through works and my comprehension increased when I was able to listen, share and express ideas with my peers.  I believe this can also be achieved through exercises like the tea party where ultimately the students are initiating the conversation and interacting with one another.  Games or exercises that prompt students to actively listen, process, develop their own thoughts and eventually express them will hopefully make meaning as the IRP encourages.  


I am creative and I have some ideas and strategies for teaching that I believe to be engaging.  With that in mind, I embrace the freedom that teachers have in terms of the delivery of material while respecting the fact that there is a curriculum to follow.  There is much to know and be aware of as a new teacher and the ELA IRP should be a solid framework from which to work.  It successfully hones in on students needs to be involved and engaged leaving the execution or fun stuff up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment